Being able to recognize a team’s dysfunction is, as they say, half the battle. With this in mind, I have created a 4-step process to help you recognize and address any team’s or leadership’s dysfunction.
1st Step: Recognize Underlying Issues
- It’s critical to understand what/when/ how alignment and synergies within the executive team are enhanced, diminished, or derailed.
- The competitors are outside of the company, not inside; we’re all on the same team.
- The common compelling goal that unites everyone is the success of the company, not winning at the expense of a colleague.
2nd Step: Involve
- Gain team members’ input in identifying and shaping how the organization could operate at higher levels of effectiveness.
- Brainstorm strategies for how your executive team could become more aligned and synergistic, leading to greater overall effectiveness.
- Discuss common business problems collectively with the team rather than allowing functions to make decisions solely from the perspective of their silos.
- Learn how to leverage individual strengths that create team/organization synergies.
3rd Step: Explore
- Ask each person to observe the dynamics in the SLT team meetings.
- Identify and discuss things that are WORKING WELL and AREAS THAT NEED IMPROVEMENT.
- Stop blurting / start listening to others, acknowledge the value of others’ ideas, and affirm each other.
4th Step: Discuss & Commit
- Discuss what team dynamics should CONTINUE, STOP, and START.
- Commit to each other as to how the team will optimally function.
Experiment and observe away! Be sure to add your comments and perspectives to generate blog dialogue!